I think the funnest thing about Weddings is the favors…and hardly any of the brides I’ve worked with have really paid these much attention! It’s so easy to make simple little things that make your guests see your appreciation for their support. Well, it’s easy to make things and also easy to buy things.
I remember when I was a kid, I used to love going to weddings because I wanted those candied almonds or pink and white mints. I was totally bummed when I was stuck with a book mark or something that wasn’t yummy! (:
Here’s some funky ideas to spice up the tables and make your guests talk about your wedding for years afterwards:
- Personally, I’m addicted to M&Ms. Or just chocolate for that matter, but M&Ms are amazing. Did you know you can get customized M&Ms? You can pick the color and put your initials on them, how cool is that?
- Why not put a splash of color on the tables? Jones Sodas offer customization (is that a word?) of their bottles! You can go with a toned down color like black or white or a bright color of red or blue… Either way, you’ll be able to have a picture of you and your lover, a funky saying and your choice of drink. All for your guests to enjoy at the wedding, or keep as a super cool remembrance of your wedding!
- If you’re having an oriental theme, custom fortune cookies might be a great gift for your guests. I have a twisted sense of humor so I like the thought of saying something like “Thanks…for nothin'” or “This is a fake wedding, we actually signed the certificate months ago”.
- My cousin made these great favors for her sisters wedding a couple years ago. There were containers of mints, pink green and white, beside these cute little bags and the guests just scooped the candies into their own bag. Cara made TONS of these bags, but if she can do it alone (and pregnant at the time!) it’s doable! She got the pattern for the bags by going to Michael’s and buying a prototype, tracing it and going from there. She bought a stamp with the bride and grooms initials and stamped every bag. Cute!
- And what about personalized chocolate bars??
I used to think that the candy was the best part of a wedding, but now that I’ve helped plan a few I find the best part is how it gives an excuse to get together as a group. Whenever I help a bride out I always plan events with her and her bridesmaids. We all get together, put decorations together, make the centre pieces, decorate the hall and it really builds a deeper relationship between the bride and her girls. It also gives her a time to have a cup of tea and just have fun!
The biggest piece of advice I give brides is this: Just think, all you really need at the wedding is you, the groom and the certificate. Have fun in the process!
If you’re a bridesmaid, help the bride have fun, plan get togethers to accomplish the wedding planning, ask if there’s anything you can take over or be responsible for. If you’re a bride, learn to delegate and take a deep breath every now and then. This is your day, that means you should be having fun! Do whatever it takes to get rid of that stress and enjoy yourself! Even if that means dropping everything and having a bubble bath and a glass of wine.